Fresh familiar and lesser-known fairytale retellings with a focus on interiority

Brave Red, Smart Frog: A New Book of Old Tales - Rohan Daniel Eason, Emily Jenkins

Disclaimer: reviewing an uncorrected proof/eARC via NetGalley.

This covers some well-known (Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, Snow White) and lesser-known fairytales with the author's unique spin and a sketched piece of artwork heading each tale. The author's notes suggest that she focused on motivation, which jives with my impression that these retellings are a little more focused on character motivation and interiority than some traditional versions, with perhaps a splash of feminism/female initiative. I did enjoy them, but placed alongside recent retellings-with-a-twist/twisted fairytales like Ransom Riggs's and Leigh Bardugo's, they come across a little bland. The language is not particularly gripping or lyrical (not picture-book style), and with one illustration heading each tale, it's not a child's bedtime book. However, as kids lit/MG, they're a nicely rounded-out variation.

I'd have liked to see more of a storybook-format with more illustrations for child readers (& those of us who just enjoy the pictures~~), but generally a nice edition.