Intense, complex and multilayered read

The Felix Chronicles: Freshmen - R.T. Lowe

I'm shelving this as a DNF for now, with the intent to come back to it at a later date. It was a Goodreads Giveaway book, so I'll definitely make the effort to push through and update my review when I make it to the end.

It's a highly detailed, complex fantasy (paranormal?) read and I think part of what made it hard for me to get through was just how much was going on. It starts in ancient history with a flashback setup of some kind of conspiracy, then jumps forward to a modern PNW campus with some kids that are probably going to be chased and/or eaten by monsters and also embroiled in a conspiracy...? So lots going on plot-wise, and some good writing especially in the high-action scenes. Tense and fast moving... but then it bogs down in description, or cuts to another aspect of the conspiracy or something and loses my interest.

I think this book would be appreciated by readers who really enjoy older or classic literature that has a high degree of description, and would do less well with thriller readers who are used to more streamlined storytelling.

The MC and core cast didn't really work for me as well, since he's a college guy with fairly well-represented college guy attitudes and interests. BUT, while that doesn't really hold my interest, I think it's great that there's a paranormal/fantasy out there that targets that audience, as most paranormal entries these days are more along the lines of female wish-fulfillment paranormal romances with hot (insert inhuman here).

The book production is high quality, and the author's obviously put a ton of work into a detailed, extensive story world that spans multiple books. There's enough here to intrigue me and make me want to come back and find out where it goes, but it wasn't quite the right fit for me, and there are some rough patches that I'd have liked to see smoothed over in edits as well.